Youth Arctic Forest Solutions Hackathon for the Barents Forest Forum 2023
– Calling All Young Innovators: Shape the Future of Arctic Sustainability!
Are you a young visionary with a passion for the environment? Join us at the Youth Arctic Forest Solutions Hackathon, a transformative side event connected to the Barents Forest Forum 2023. Together, we’ll tackle the pressing challenges of forest management, biodiversity, and climate change in the Arctic!
- Be a Leader of Tomorrow: As the emerging generation, your fresh perspectives and bold ideas can shape the Arctic’s sustainable future. Engage with Arctic states and stakeholders, and let your voice be heard.
- Ignite Creativity: Experience the power of collaboration as you work alongside diverse young minds from various backgrounds. Together, we’ll spark innovation and generate cutting-edge policy recommendations.
- Make an Impact: Your solutions will address crucial issues affecting the entire Arctic and the Barents region in particular. Let’s develop practical strategies to use forests and secure livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and combat climate change.
- Barents Forest Forum: Additionally, there is an opportunity to attend the Barents Forest Forum (4-5 October 2023) and contribute to the Forum through presenting and discussing the hackathon outcomes in a dedicated session. It is a unique chance to share your innovative solutions with Arctic experts and stakeholders.
How it works
- Team Up: Young participants will form teams led by moderators. Collaborate, brainstorm, and unlock your collective potential.
- Solve Real Problems: Identify key challenges within forest management, biodiversity, and/or climate change in the Arctic. Develop creative solutions that address these issues head-on.
- Present and Influence: Showcase your team’s problem and solution during the hackathon. Your ideas will contribute to the Youth Recommendation Paper, influencing policymakers and shaping sustainable policies.
How to apply
We invite applications from young people, aged 18-30, from Barents regions in Finland (Lapland region, Northern Ostrobothnia, Kainuu, North Karelia), Sweden (Västerbotten, Norrbotten) and Norway (Nordland, Troms, Finnmark).
Applications can be made through an online application form (link below). In the form we invite you to describe your interest to participate in the hackathon by writing a short motivation letter.
You will apply as an individual and we will form the teams later.
Apply by 12 September 2023 via: https://link.webropolsurveys.com/S/8F98BAFAC6A94789.
Selected participants will be notified by 15 September 2023. The selection will be based on the balance of educational background, age, motivation and other relevant aspects to ensure diversity of the hackathon participants.
Please note that the application is not binding and you still need to accept the place if you are offered that opportunity.
What’s on offer
- We invite selected 20 young participants to Rovaniemi and offer them a welcome dinner on the arrival date, 3-night stay at a hotel in shared rooms, and meals on the hackathon day.
- We understand your commitment to this important cause. We will offer support to find possibilities to reimburse part of the travel costs, but participants are responsible for organizing their own travel arrangements.
- Arrival date: 2 October 2023.
- Event date: 3 October 2023, a day prior to the Barents Forest Forum.
- Location: Rovaniemi, Finland.
- Duration: Full day program (9am-6pm) with an immersive 6-hour hackathon experience.
- Language: The hackathon will be carried out in English.
The event is organised by the Youth and indigenous peoples’ involvement in climate change adaptation in the Arctic and Barents region (ACAF) project that is coordinated by the Natural Resources Institute Finland and funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.
The event is supported by the Working Group on Barents Forest Sector (WGBFS) (Friends of the Finnish Presidency).
If you have any questions on the hackathon, please contact: email@example.com.